Personal InformationDr. Sujit K. Bishi Designation : Senior Scientist, Biochemistry (Plant Science) firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com view resume
Dr Sujit Kumar Bishi, born and brought up in Odisha, did his B.Sc. (Ag) from Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar during 2000-04. Dr Bishi has obtained his M.Sc. in Biochemistry in 2007 from the ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi and joined the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) in 2009 as a scientist in Biochemistry (Plant Science). He has completed his Ph.D. in Biochemistry from Junagadh Agricultural University, Junagadh, Gujarat in 2015. Dr Bishi had served at ICAR-Directorate of Groundnut Research (ICAR-DGR) from 2009 to 2018 and then joined the present institute, ICAR-Indian Institute of Agricultural Biotechnology, Ranchi. He has been recipient of ICAR-Junior Research Fellowship (2005), CSIR/ UGC JRF in Life Sciences (2008), and ICAR-Senior Research Fellowship (2012).
Dr Bishi has extensively worked on nutritional biochemistry of groundnut. He has characterized many germplasm and cultivars of groundnut for important nutritional traits. Biochemical and molecular basis of both biotic and abiotic stress tolerance and their effect on nutritional traits has also been his area of research. At present, he is working on understanding the biochemical and molecular basis of glycemic index trait of rice to develop climate resilient genotypes.
Nutritional Biochemistry and Nutrigenomics
- Sanyal, R., Pradhan, B., Jawed, D.M.,…Bishi, S.K., 2023. Spatio-temporal expression pattern of Raffinose Synthase genes determine the levels of Raffinose Family Oligosaccharides in peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) seed. Sci Rep, 13, 795. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-27890-z
- Tribhuvan, K.U., Singh, D.K., Pradhan, B., Bishi, S.K., Pandey, A., Kumar, S., Bhati, J., Mishra, D.C., Das, A., Sharma, T.R. and Pattanayak, A., 2022. Sequencing and de novo transcriptome assembly for discovering regulators of gene expression in Jack (Artocarpus heterophyllus). Genomics, 114(3), p.110356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygeno.2022.110356
- Pradhan, B., Panda, D., *Bishi, S.K., Chakraborty, K., Muthusamy, S.K. and Lenka, S.K., 2022. Progress and prospects of C4 trait engineering in plants. Plant Biology, 24(6), pp.920-931. https://doi.org/10.1111/plb.13446
- K. Chakraborty, S.K. Bishi, N. Goswami, A.L. Singh, D. Bhaduri, and P.V. Zala (2019). Salinity-induced changes in seed germination and the expression profile of antioxidant enzymes in peanut as early and late responses in emerging radicles. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 41(8), p.134
- K Chakraborty*, SK Bishi*, AL Singh, PV Zala, MK Mahatma, KA Kalariya and RA Jat (2018). Rapid induction of small heat shock proteins improves physiological adaptation to high temperature stress in peanut. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. https:// doi.org/10.1111/jac.12260 (*equally contributed)
- SS. Raval, MK Mahatma, K Chakraborty, SK Bishi, AL Singh, KJ Rathod, JK Jadav, JM Sanghani, MK Mandavia, HP. Gajera, BA Golakiya (2017). Metabolomics of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) genotypes under varying temperature regimes. Plant Growth Regulation. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10725-017-0356
- Mahatma M K, Thawait L K, Jadon K S, Rathod K J, Sodha K H, Bishi S K, Thirumalaisamy P P and Golakiya B A. 2019. Distinguish metabolic profiles and defense enzymes in Alternaria leaf blight resistant and susceptible genotypes of groundnut. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants, 25(6):1395-1405. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12298-019-00708-x
- MK Mahatma, LK Thawait, KS Jadon, PP Thirumalaisamy, SK Bishi, JK Jadav, N Khatediya, BA Golakiya (2017). Metabolic profiles of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) genotypes differing in Sclerotium rolfsii reaction. European Journal of Plant Pathology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10658-017-1387
- A.L. Singh, S.K. Bishi, M.K. Mahatama, V. Chaudhari, L.K. Thawait and S. Singh (2017). High zinc density crop genotypes are a solution in alleviating Zn malnutrition in India. Indian Journal of Agricultural Biochemistry. 30 (2), 107-114. doi 10.5958/0974-4479.2017.00018.1
- Chakraborty, K., Bishi, S.K., Goswami, N., Singh, A.L., Zala, P.V. (2016). Differential fine-regulation of enzyme driven ROS detoxification network imparts salt tolerance in contrasting peanut genotypes. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 128, 79–90. https://doi:10.1016/j.envexpbot.2016.05.001
- M.K. Mahatma, L.K. Thawait, S. K. Bishi, N. Khatediya, A.L. Rathnakumar, H.B. Lalwani and J.B. Misra (2016). Nutritional composition and antioxidant activity of Spanish and Virginia groundnuts (Arachis hypogaea L.): a comparative study. Journal of Food Science and Technology. DOI: 10.1007/s13197-016-2187-y
- K Chakraborty, MK Mahatma, LK Thawait, SK Bishi, KA Kalariya, AL Singh (2016).Water deficit stress affects photosynthesis and the sugar profile in source and sink tissues of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) and impacts kernel quality. Journal of Applied Botany and Food Quality, 89: 98 – 104.
- S. K. Bishi, Lokesh Kumar, M. K. Mahatma, N. Khatediya, S. M. Chauhan and J.B.Misra (2015). Quality traits of Indian peanut cultivars and their utility as nutritional and functional food. Food Chemistry. 167: 107–114.
- S.K. Bishi, Lokesh Kumar, M.C. Dagla, M.K. Mahatma, A.L. Rathnakumar, H.B. Lalwani and J.B. Misra (2013). Characterization of peanut germplasm (Arachis hypogaea L.) for flatus sugars and fatty acid composition. Industrial crops and Products. 51: 46– 50.
- K. Chakraborty, S.K. Bishi, A.L. Singh, K.A. Kalariya and Lokesh Kumar (2013). Water deficit stress alters seeds quality and composition in groundnut. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology. 18: 136–141.
- Anita Mann, Sujit Kumar Bishi, Mahesh Kumar Mahatma and Ashwani Kumar (2015). Metabolomics and salt stress tolerance in plants In: Managing Salt Tolerance in Plants: Molecular and Genomic Perspectives, Cat #K23522, Tylor and Francis group.
- Pradhan, B., Jangid, KK., Sarwat, M. and Bishi, SK. (2019). "Role of histones during leaf senescence" In Senescence Signalling and Control in Plants, pp. 187-197. Academic Press, 2019.
- Mann, A., Singh, S., Gurpreet, Kumar, A., Pooja, Bishi, SK and Kumar, B. (2019). “Plant Ionomics: An important component of Functional Biology”, In: Metabolic adaptation in plants during abiotic stress. CRC Press, pp.147-154.
- Kumar, A., Tiwari, V., Singh., Pratibha., Bishi, S.K., Gupta, C.K., and Mishra, G.P. (2020). “Advances and challenges in sugarcane biofuel development”, In: Biotechnology for Biofuels: A sustainable green energy solution. Springer Nature, Singapore Pte. Ltd. 2020
- Bishi S K, Singh P, Afsana A N, Kumar A and Kumar N. 2019. Biotechnology at a glance, p202, Parmar Publication, ISBN No. 978-81-92587-530