Personal InformationDr. Sanjay Kumar Gupta Designation : Sceintist (SS) firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com 09411334870 view resume
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Gupta did his masters in Fisheries Science (MFsc) in the area of (Fish Nutrition and Biochemistry) from Central Institute of Fisheries Education, (CIFE), a deemed University, Mumbai in the year, 2006. Further, he continued his doctoral program in Aquaculture from CIFE, Mumbai and degree was awarded in the year, 2010. Dr. Gupta was selected as ARS scientist (Agricultural Research Service) of Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board, New Delhi in 2009. He has over more than 15 years of work experience for the development of aquaculture sector in various capacities. He also has extensive work experience with various aquaculture systems and the application of control measures in aquaculture health management. He was awarded prestigious Endeavour Post-doc Fellowship by Australian Government in 2018. Presently, he is working as ARS Scientist (SS) in the ICAR-Indian Institute of Agricultural Biotechnogy, Ranchi Jharkhand, India.
Aquaculture nutrigenomics and metagenomics
Research: My research interest focuses on profiling of gene expression using qPCR and bacterial communities using 16S rRNA in response to dietary nutraceutical supplemented feed in fish for qualitative and quantitative enhancement of aquaculture production. I am also interested in the development of nutraceutical based diet using nutrigenomics approaches.
Publications in refereed journals
- Kumar,V*., Sahu, N.P., Pal, A.K., Kumar, S., and Gupta, S. K. (2007) Gelatinized to non-gelatinized starch ratio in the diet of L. rohita: Effect on digestive, metabolic response and growth. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, 92(4): 492-501. IF -1.70
- S. K. Gupta*, Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Dalvi, R.S., Kumar, V., Mukherjee, S.C. (2008) "Microbial levan in the diet of Labeo rohita juvenile: Effect on non-specific immunity and histopathological changes after challenged with Aeromonas hydrophilla. Journal of Fish Disease, 31: 649- 657. IF -2.0
- 2010 S. K. Gupta*, Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Dalvi, R.S., Akhtar, M.S., Jha, A.K., Kartik, Baruah (2010) Dietary microbial levan enhances tolerance of Labeo rohita (Hamilton) juveniles to thermal stress. Aquaculture, 306: 398–402. IF -3.02
- Mandal, S.C*., Sahu, N.P., Kohli, M.P.S., Das, P., Gupta, S. K., Sukham, M.K (2010) Replacement of live feed by formulated feed: effect on the growth and spawning performance of Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens, Regan,1910) Aquaculture research, 41 (11) 1707-1716. IF -1.50
- Akhtar, M.S*., Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Ciji, A., Gupta, S. K., Choudhary, A.K., Jha, A.K., and Ranjan, M.G., (2010) Stress mitigating and immuno-modulatory effect of dietary pyridoxine in Labeo rohita (Hamilton) fingerlings. Aquaculture research, 41, 991-1002. IF -1.50
- 2011 Prusty, A.K*., Kohli, M.P.S., Sahu, N.P., Pal, A.K., Saharan, N., Mohapatra, S., Gupta, S. K. (2011) Effect of short term exposure of fenvalerate on biochemical and haematological responses in Labeo rohita (Hamilton) fingerlings. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, 100, 124–129. IF -2.87
- 2012 Akhtar, M.S*., Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Ciji, A., Gupta, S. K. (2012) Effects of dietary pyridoxine on growth and biochemical responses of Labeo rohita fingerlings exposed to endosulfan. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, 103,23-30. IF -2.87
- 2013 Akhtar, M.S*., Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Ciji, A., Gupta, S. K., Dasgupta, A., (2013) Serum electrolytes, osmolarity and selected enzyme activities of Labeo rohita juveniles exposed to temperature and salinity stress: effect of dietary L-tryptophan. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. B Biol. Sci. DOI 10.1007/s40011-013-0284-5.
- Mandal, S.C*., Singh, S.K., Das, P., Barman, D., and Gupta, S. K. (2013) Trace and heavy metal content in diets and their effect on the growth and survival of Siamese fighting fish, Betta splendens. Indian Journal of Animal Nutrition, 30 (1): 80-86
- Gupta S. K. *, Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Jha, A.K., Akhtar, M.S., Mandal, S.C., Das, P., Prusty, A.K. (2013) Supplementation of microbial levan in the diet of Cyprinus carpio fry (Linnaeus, 1758) exposed to sublethal toxicity of fipronil: Effect on growth and metabolic responses. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, 39:1513–1524. IF -1.74
- 2014 Gupta, S. K.*, Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Saharan, N., Chandraprakash., Akhtar, M.S., and Sikendra Kumar (2014) Haemato-biochemical responses in Cyprinus carpio (Linnaeus, 1758) fry exposed to sub-lethal concentration of a phenylpyrazole insecticide, fipronil. Proceeding of National Academy of Sciences India Section B Biological Sciences, 84(1):113-122.
- Kumar, S*., Munilkumar, S., Gupta, S. K., Jain, K. K., Pal, A. K., G.M, Siddaiah., and Chandra Prakash (2014) Protein/energy ratio and HUFA content in the diet of Pangasianodon hypophthalmus (Sauvage, 1878) fingerlings: Effect on growth and flesh quality. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture- Bamidagh. 66, IJA:65, 2014.1002. IF -0.
- S. K. Gupta*, Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Saharan, N., Mandal, S.C., Chandraprakash., Akhtar, M.S., Prusty, A.K. (2014) Dietary microbial levan ameliorates stress and augments immunity in Cyprinus carpio fry (Linnaeus, 1758) exposed to sub-lethal toxicity of fipronil. Aquaculture Research: 45, 893–906. IF -1.50
- 2015 Prusty, A. K*., Meena, D. K., Mohapatra, S., Panikkar, P., Das. P., Gupta, S. K. and Sahu, N. P. (2015) Synthetic pyrethroids (Type II) and freshwater fish culture: Perils and mitigations. International Aquatic Research. DOI 10.1007/s40071-015-0106-x
- Kumar, S., Chandra Prakash, Gupta, S. K.*., Chadha, N. K., Jain, K. K., Ghughuskur M & Pandey P.K. (2015) Effect of dietary anthraquinone extract on growth and haemato-immunological responses of Cirrhinus mrigala. Proceeding of National Academy of Sciences India Section B Biological Sciences, DOI 10.1007/s40011-015-0609-7 .
- Kartik Baruah*, Tran T. Huy, Parisa Norouzitallab, S. K. Gupta, Peter De Schryver & Peter Bossier (2015). Probing the protective mechanism of poly-ß-hydroxybutyrate against vibriosis by using gnotobiotic Artemia franciscana and vibrio campbellii as host-pathogen model. Scientific reports (Nature publishing group) 5: 9427 IF - 4.01
- S. K. Gupta*, Pal, A. K., Sahu, N.P., Jha, A.K., and Prusty A.K. (2015) Effects of dietary microbial levan on growth performance, RNA/DNA ratio and some physio-biochemical responses of Labeo rohita (Hamilton) juveniles. Aquaculture nutrition21;892–903 doi:10.1111/anu.12216 IF - 2.10
- Makwana, N.P., S. K. Gupta*, Srvastava, S.K., and Gopal Krishna (2015) Cryopresearvation of rainbow trout spermatozoa (Onchorrhynchus mykiss) using different cryodiluents. Cryo letters 36(2) 137-147 IF - 0.69
- 2016 Neeraj Kumar*, K Ambasankar, K K Krishnani, S. K. Gupta, Shashi Bhushan, P S Minhas (2016). Acute toxicity, biochemical and histopathological responses of endosulfan in Chanos chanos. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 131, 79–88. IF - 4.53
- Neeraj Kumar*, K Ambasankar, K K Krishnani, S. K. Gupta, P S Minhas 2016. Dietary pyridoxine promotes growth and cellular metabolic plasticity of Chanos chanos fingerlings exposed to endosulfan induced stress. Aquaculture Research Doi. 10.1111/are.13042. IF – 1.50
- Kumar, N*., Krishnani, K.K., Meena K.K., Gupta, S. K., Singh, N.P., 2016. Oxidative and cellular metabolic stress of Oreochromis mossambicus as biomarkers indicators of trace element contaminants. Chemosphere 171, 265-274. IF – 5.10
- 2017 Neeraj Kumar*, Krishnani K K, Paritosh Kumar, Jha A.K. Gupta S. K. Singh N.P. (2017). Dietary zinc promotes immuno-biochemical plasticity and protects fish against multiple stresses. Fish and Shellfish Immunology 62:184-194. IF – 3.19
- Neeraj Kumar*, Krishnani KK, Gupta S. K., Singh NP (2017). Selenium nanoparticles enhanced thermal tolerance and maintain cellular stress protection of Pangasius hypophthalmus reared under lead and high temperature. Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology, 246: 107-116. IF – 1.58
- Neeraj Kumar*, Krishnani, K.K., S. K. Gupta, N P Singh (2017). Cellular stress and histopathological tools used as biomarkers in Oreochromis mossambicus for assessing metal contamination. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 49: 137-147. IF - 3.06
- Labh S.N., Shakya S.R., Gupta S. K, Neeraj K. and Kayastha B.L. (2017) Effects of lapsi fruits (Choerospondias axillaris Roxburgh, 1832) on immunity and survival of juvenile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus Linnaeus, 1758) infected with Aeromonas hydrophila. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 5(2) 571-577
- 2018 Neeraj Kumar*, K.K. Krishnani, M.P. Brahmane, S. K. Gupta, Paritosh Kumar, N.P.Singh. (2018). Temperature induces lead toxicity in Pangasius hypophthalmus: An acute test, antioxidative status and cellular metabolic stress. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 15:57-68 IF - 2.04
- Neeraj Kumar*, Krishnani K.K, S. K. Gupta, Singh NP (2018). Effects of silver nanoparticles on stress biomarkers of Channa striatus: immuno-protective or toxic? Environmental Science and Pollution Research 25: 14813-26 DOI: 10.1007/s11356-018-1628-8. IF -2.91
- S.K. Gupta*, B.Sarkar S.Bhattacharjee , NeerajKumar S.Naskar, Kiran Babu Uppuluri (2018). Modulation of cytokine expression by dietary levan in the pathogen aggravated rohu, Labeo rohita fingerlings. Aquaculture (495):496-505. IF - 3.02
- Pham, H.D., Siddik, M.A.B., Fotedar, R. Chau Minh Nguyen, Ashfaqun Nahar, S. K. Gupta* (2018). Total Bioavailable Organic Selenium in Fishmeal-Based Diet Influences Growth and Physiology of Juvenile Cobia Rachycentron canadum (Linnaeus, 1766) Biol Trace ele, res. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-018-1565-x. IF - 2.43
- Kumar, Sikendra*, Chandra Prakash, Narinder Kumar Chadha, S. K. Gupta, K. Kalaiselvan, Payal Jain and Pramod Kumar Pandey (2018). “Effects of Dietary Alginic Acid on Growth and Haemato-İmmunological Responses of Cirrhinus mrigala (Hamilton, 1822) Fingerlings.” Turk. J. Fish. & Aquat. Sci. 19(5), 373-382 IF – 0.74
- Biplab Sarkar*, Suresh K. Verma, Javed Akhtar, Surya Prakash Netam, S. K. Gupta, Pritam Kumar Panda, Koel Mukherjee, (2018) Molecular aspect of Silver nanoparticles regulated embryonic development in Zebrafish (Danio rerio) by Oct-4 expression, Chemosphere 206 (2018) 560-567 doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2018.05.018. IF – 5.10
- Suresh Chandra*, Rabindar Singh Patiyal, S. K. Gupta and Debajit Sarma (2018) Study on age dependent breeding performance of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss, Walbaum, 1792). Journal of Coldwater Fisheries 1(1):125-128
- 2019 Foysal, M. J*., Fotedar, R., Gupta, S. K., & Chaklader, M. R. (2019). Biological ball filters regulate bacterial communities in marron (Cherax cainii) culture system. Letters in Applied Microbiology. doi:10.1111/lam.13125. IF – 1.47
- Ishaaq Saputra, Ravi Foetdar, S. K. Gupta*, Muhammad A. B. Siddik, Md Javed Foysal (2019) Effects of different dietary protein sources on the immunological and physiological responses of marron, Cherax cainii (Austin and Ryan, 2002) and its susceptibility to high temperature exposure. Fish and Shellfish Immunology https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsi.2019.03.012. IF – 3.19
- Foysal MJ*, Fotedar R, Tay C-Y, Gupta SK* (2019) Dietary supplementation of black soldier fly (Hermetica illucens) meal modulates gut microbiota, innate immune response and health status of marron (Cherax cainii, Austin 2002) fed poultry-by-product and fishmeal based diets. Peer J 10.7717/peerj.6891 IF - 2.35
- Foysal MJ*, Nguyen, T. T. T., Chaklader, M. R., Siddik, M. A., Tay, C. Y., Fotedar, R., & Gupta, S. K. (2019) Marked variations in gut microbiota and some innate immune responses of fresh water crayfish, marron (Cherax cainii, Austin 2002) fed dietary supplementation of Clostridium butyricum. Peer J, 7, 7553. IF - 2.35
- Kumar, N., Gupta, S. K., Bhushan, S., & Singh, N. P. (2019) Impacts of acute toxicity of arsenic (III) alone and with high temperature on stress biomarkers, immunological status and cellular metabolism in fish. Aquatic Toxicology. 214, 105233, IF – 3.80
- 2020 Foysal, M. J.*, Eng Guan Chua, Gupta, S. K., Binit Lamichhane , Tay, C. Y., Fotedar, R. (2020) Bacillus mycoides supplemented diet restructures the health status, gut microbiota and innate immune response of freshwater crayfish marron (Cherax cainii), Animal feed Science and technology 262, 114408., IF - 2.59
- Foysal MJ* Alam, M., Robiul Kawser A.Q.M., Hasan,F., Dr Rahman. M., Tay C-Y., Prodhan, S.H., Gupta SK* (2020) Meta-omics technologies reveals beneficiary effects of Lactobacillus plantarum as dietary supplements on gut microbiota, immune response and disease resistance of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) Aquaculture 520, 734974. IF – 3.02
- Gupta S.K* B. Sarkar, Manisha priyam, Neeraj K., S. Naskar., Foysal, M. J., Shailesh saurabhd T.R. Sharma (2020) Inflammatory and stress biomarker response of Aeromonas hydrophila infected rohu, Labeo rohita fingerlings to dietary microbial levan. Aquaculture 521, 735020. IF – 3.02
- Foysal, M. J. * Fotedar, R., Tay, A. C. Y., & Gupta, S. K*. (2020) Effects of long-term starvation on health indices, gut microbiota and innate immune response of fresh water crayfish, marron (Cherax cainii, Austin 2002) Aquaculture, 514, 734-44, IF -3.02
- Foysal, M. J.* Momtaz, F., Kawsar, A. R., Rahman, M. M., Gupta, S. K., & Tay, A. C. Y. (2020) Next generation sequencing reveals significant variations in bacterial compositions across the gastrointestinal tracts of the Indian major carps, rohu (Labeorohita), catla (Catla catla) and mrigal (Cirrhinus cirrhosis). Letters in Applied Microbiology. DOI: 10.1111/lam.13256, IF – 1.80
- Siddik, M. A.* Chaklader, M. R., Foysal, M. J., Howieson, J., Fotedar, R., & Gupta, S. K. (2020) Influence of fish protein hydrolysate produced from industrial residues on antioxidant activity, cytokine expression and gut microbial communities in juvenile barramundi Lates calcarifer. Fish & Shellfish Immunology. 97, 465-73, IF – 3.29
- Foysal MJ*, Fotedar R, Tay C-Y, Gupta SK (2020) Biological filters regulate water quality, modulate health status, immune indices and gut microbiota of freshwater crayfish, marron (Cherax cainii, Austin, 2002) Chemoshere 7;247:125821. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.12582. IF – 5.10
- Rayees Ahmad Bhat, Sudha Saini, Manisha Priyam, Md Javed Foysal, Gupta S.K.* and J.K Sundaray (2020) Role of Sex-Biased miRNAs in teleosts - A Review, (In production), Reviews in Aquaculture, IF-7.19
- N Kumar*, Gupta S.K, N K Chandan, S. Bhushan, D K Singh, P. Kumar, PK Goraksha C. Wakchaurea, N PSingha (2020) Synergistic effect of selenium nanoparticles and riboflavin against arsenic and temperature aggravated stress in Pangasianodon hypophthalmus, Accepted, Scientific reports (Nature publishing group) IF. 4.01
- T Akter, Foysal MD.* M. Alam, R. Ehsan, S. I. Paul, F. Momtaz, Siddik MAB, A. C. Y Tay, R. Fotedar, Gupta S.K., T. Islam, Rahman MM (2020) Involvement of Enterococcus species in streptococcosis of Nile tilapia in Bangladesh, Accepted, Aquaculture, IF -3.02
Genetic stocks registration
- 123Mb data of Cherax cainii, Austin (2002) (fed on alternative protein sources) gut metagenome submitted to NCBI vide BioProject accession number PRJNA505066 on 11.11.2018
- 291Mb data of gut metagenome of three Indian major carps rohu (Labeo rohita), catla (Catla catla) and mrigal (Cirrhinus cirrhosis) submitted to NCBI vide BioProject accession number PRJNA528757 on 23.03.2019
- 93Mb data of Lactobacillus plantarum supplemented-diet fed Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) gut metagenome submitted to NCBI vide BioProject accession number PRJNA594261 on 09.12.2019
- 257Mb data of barramundi (Lates calcarifer) fed varied combination of non-fishmeal ingredients, gut metagenome submitted to NCBI vide BioProject accession number PRJNA608700 on 25.02.2019
- 121Mb data of a Cherax cainii, Austin (2002)) gut metagenome submitted to NCBI vide BioProject accession number PRJNA608700 on 19.03.2020
- Bio Sample accessions: SAMN14403970, SAMN14403971, SAMN14403972 with Submission ID: SUB7166083 successfully submitted to NCBI on 19.03.2020
- Sanjay Kumar Gupta and Pawan Kumar Bharti (2014): “Aquaculture and Fisheries Environment” published by Discovery Publishing House Private Limited, Dariyaganj, New delhi, India pp:1-195 (ISBN-93-5056-408-4).
- Sanjay Kumar Gupta and Pawan Kumar Bharti (2015): “Fish habitat and Aquaculture” published by Discovery Publishing House Private Limited, Dariyaganj, New delhi, India pp:1-224 (ISBN-93-5056-744-X).
- Sanjay Kumar Gupta & Pawan Kumar Bharti (2016) Sustainable Aquaculture Management published by Discovery Publishing House Private Limited, Dariyaganj, New delhi, India. Page 01-309. (ISBN-978-93-5056-797-5)
- Sanjay Kumar Gupta (2014): Dietary Microbial levan: Effect on heamato-immunology, growth and physiology of freshwater carp, Labeo rohita, Lambert Academic Publishing (LAP) Saarbrücken, Germany.pp:1-130 (ISBN- 978-3-659-56192-4)
- Makwana nayan and Sanjay Kumar gupta (2014) Cryodiluent compositions: effect of on spermatozoa of coldwater fish rainbow trout (O.mykiss) Lambert Academic Publishing (LAP) Saarbrücken, Germany.pp:1-90 (ISBN- 978-3-659-48838-2 )
- Bhartendu V., Himanshu S., Sanjay K Gupta., T. Kumar., Satender K., (2019) Advances in fish production and technology. Published and printed by The Print salon, Delhi. PP (1-191) ISBN978-81-942573-0-1.