Personal InformationDr. Sujatha T.P. Designation : Scientist (Agricultural Biotechnology) firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com 8978859339 view resume
Dr. Sujatha Thankeswaran Parvathy did her graduation in Agriculture from Kerala Agricultural University with second rank at the university level in the year 2000. She completed her Masters in Biotechnology from Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore in 2002, secured Ist rank at the university level and was awarded M.S Swaminaathan Prize for the best student Biotechnology and Ammani Ammal endowment prize. She pursued her PhD in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology from the National Research Centre on Plant Biotechnology (NRCPB presently NIPB) Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi in 2008. She has undergone 1 year training in IPR (2009-10) under DST WOS (C) programme. She joined the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) in the year 2011 and started her career at ICAR-Indian Institute of Oilseeeds Research (ICAR-IIOR), Hyderabad (previously Directorate of Oilseeds Research) and worked on castor for 7 years. She joined ICAR-IIAB in June 2018.
She has qualified the CSIR-UGC-NET-JRF of 2001 and 2003, GATE examination, 2001, awarded CSIR fellowship, JNU merit scholarship, KAU merit scholarship selected for national merit scholarship etc
Research Gate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sujatha_Thankeswaran_Parvathy
- Scientist, ICAR-IIAB, Ranchi, June 2018- Till date
- Scientist, ICAR-Indian Institute of Oilseeds Research (ICAR-IIOR), Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, Telangana (September, 2011-June, 2018).
- Scientist, (Probationer), FOCARS, NAARM, Hyderabad (May, 2011-August, 2011)
Ph.D in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
NATIONAL RESEARCH CENTRE ON PLANT BIOTECHNOLOGY,
INDIAN AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE, New Delhi, India, 2003-2008.
OGPA: 8.97 / 10. Minor subjects: 1.Genetics and 2. Biochemistry.
Thesis title: Molecular characterization of a cryptic root-specific promoter (CRS) isolated from Arabidopsis thaliana.
Completed: August, 2008. Degree received: February, 2009.
M.Sc in Biotechnology
TAMIL NADU AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY, Coimbatore, India, 2000-2002.
Thesis title: Transformation of tobacco with a native cry2Ac gene.
Completed: December, 2002.
B.Sc in Agriculture
KERALA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY, India, 1995-2000.
OGPA; 9.00 / 10.
Degree received: May, 2000.
Awards and Honours
- Secured I rank in M.Sc Biotechnology, TNAU at university level. Awarded M.S. Swaminathan Prize for Best student in Biotechnology.
- Awarded Ammani Ammal endowment prize for M.Sc academic performance.
- Secured II rank in B.Sc (Agriculture), Kerala Agricultural University at university level.
- Awarded Junior Research Fellowship (2004 to 2006), Senior Research Fellowship from 2006 to 2008 by CSIR, India..
- Awarded the JNU merit scholarship for M.Sc.
- Awarded the Kerala Agricultural University merit scholarship for all the 4 years.
- IARI studentship
- Qualified the ARS-NET examination of 2010 with all India ranking of 2 and joined the Agricultural Research Service (ICAR) as Scientist (Biotechnology) in 2011.
- Qualified the all India Ph.D entrance examination (Molecular Biology and Biotechnology) conducted by ICAR for admission to IARI with a ranking of 3 in 2003.
- Qualified the CSIR-UGC-NET-JRF of 2001 and 2003, GATE examination, 2001
- Qualified the all India M.Sc Biotechnology entrance examination conducted by JNU (Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi) with a ranking of 3.
- Qualified the all India ICAR M.Sc entrance examination (Plant Sciences) with JRF and a ranking of 38. Obtained admission to M.Sc microbiology at G.B Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pant Nagar, UP.
- Selected for National Merit Scholarship based on Pre-Degree marks (Ist position in Group II at college level).
- Awarded A.S. Menon Gold Medal for securing top marks in ICSE exam at school level.
Research area: Functional genomics, Proteomcs, Gene and promoter cloning, Transgenics, Cell and developmental biology
- Transformation of a native cry2AC gene in tobacco and verification of protein expression in transgenic plants.
- Molecular characterisation of a cryptic promoter isolated from Arabidopsis thaliana identification of bidirectionality of the promoter and verification of its expression in heterologous systems through transient biolistic transformation and Agrobacterium mediated stable transformation in Brassica juncea
- Elucidating molecular mechanisms of sex expression in castor. Identified the stage of sex determination and floral developmental stages through histological and SEM studies, conducted cytogenetic and epigenetic studies on sex mechanisms and identified few differentially expressed genes involved in sex determination in castor.
- Developed culture media for in vitro sporulation of gray mold of castor, identified for the first time the isolate in Hyderabad as Amphobotrys ricini through ITS sequencing and development of a screening method for gray mold under artificial epiphytotic conditions.
- Currently working on decoding the molecular mechanisms governing molybdenum and boron metabolism in Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L) under acidic soil conditions.
- Sujatha. T. Parvathy, M.A. Raoof, P. Jagadesh and T. Jayakrishna. (2018). In vitro sporulation, cultural characterisation, identification and phylogeny of gray mold fungus (Botryotinia ricini (Godfrey) Whetzel.) of Castor. Applied Biological Research. 20 (2): 105-117.
- Sujatha. T. Parvathy and R. Srinivasan. (2016). Functional analysis of a cryptic promoter from Arabidopsis thaliana reveals bidirectionality. Plant Biotechnology Reports, 10: 241-255. NAAS rating: 7.19
- Sujatha. T. Parvathy, M.A. Raoof , P. Jagadesh and Bewin Douglas (2016). A simple method for screening gray mold of castor (Ricinus communis L) under artificial conditions. Applied Biological Research, 18 (2): 131-138. doi: 10.5958/0974-4517.2016.00021.5 NAAS rating: 4.35
- Sujatha, T.P, C. Sivanandan, S.R. Bhat and R. Srinivasan. (2009). In silico and deletion analysis of upstream promoter fragment of S-adenosyl homocysteine hydrolase (SAHH1) of Arabidopsis leads to the identification of a fragment capable of driving gene expression in developing seeds and anthers.. Journal of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 18 (1): 13-20. NAAS rating: 7.09
- Sivanandan, C. Sujatha T.P., Anand Mohan Prasad, Resminath, R., Dhiraj R. Thakare, Bhat, S.R. and Srinivasan (2005). T-DNA tagging and characterization of a cryptic root-specific promoter in Arabidopsis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1731 (3): 202-208. NAAS rating: 12.33
- Dipnarayan Saha, Anand M. Prasad, Thankeswaran P.Sujatha, Vajinder Kumar, Pradeep K. Jain, Sripad R. Bhat and Ramamurthy Srinivasan (2006). In silico analysis of the Lateral Organ Junction (loj) gene and promoter of Arabidopsis thaliana. In Silico Biology 7: 0002.
- Sujatha Thankeswaran Parvathy (2020). Engineering plants as platforms for production of vaccines. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 11(5): 707-735
- Sujatha Thankeswaran Parvathy, Sudhir Kumar, Rishikesh Kumar and Vijaipal Bhadana. (2020). Food Safety: Countering the menace of food adulteration. Journal of Bioinnovation, 9(3):300-305.
- Sujatha Thankeswaran Parvathy, Binay Kumar Singh, Vijai Pal Bhadana and Tilak Raj Sharma. (2019). CRISPR-Cas9: Editing the Entangled Patent Dispute. Acta Scientific Agriculture, 3 (5) : 63
- Sujatha Thankeswaran Parvathy (2018) Versatile roles of ubiquitous Calcium-dependent protein kinases (CDPKs) in plants. Journal of Oilseeds Research. 35 (1): 1-11.
- Sujatha. T.P. (2012). Genetic engineering of safflower for molecular farming, Journal of Oilseeds Research, 29:186-189.
- Sujatha, T.P, Sudhir Kumar, Avinash Pandey, Arun Kumar, Adesh Kumar and Gyan Prakash Mishra. (2018). Model short and essay type questions and answers in Biotechnology. pp 119, 1st edition. Weser Books Publications, Germany. ISBN: 978-3-96492-077-5.
- Sujatha T.P, MD. Imran Ahmad, B.K Singh, Rishikesh Kumar, Madan Kumar, Sudhir Kumar, Avinash Pandey, V.P. Bhadana, R. Srinivasan and T.R.Sharma. (2018). Genome Editing using CRISPR-Cas9: Another band wagon or an essential tool for genetic improvement? ICAR-IIAB Newsletter, July-December 2018 Issue.
- Sujatha. T.P. (2017). Bisexuality in castor flowers alters with temperature. IIOR Newsletter, 23 (3&4) July-September issue.
- Sujatha, T. Parvathy, M.A. Raoof and R.D Prasad (2013). In vitro sporulation of grey rot pathogen of castor and development of a screening method for Botrytis grey rot under artificial epiphytotic conditions. DOR Newsletter, 19 (1):8
- Avinash Pandey, Sudhir Kumar, Rishikesh Kumar, Sujatha, T.P, Madan Kumar, Binay. K. Singh and V.P. Bhadana. (2018). “Technical bulletin on Rice cultivation in Jharkhand. ICAR-Indian Institute of Agricultural Biotechnology, Garhkhatanga, Ranchi – 834 010, Jharkhand, India.
- Sujatha. T.P. (2012). Functional genomics for Candidate gene discovery, In Training manual of ICAR sponsored Winter School (December 1-21, 2012) on "Molecular Breeding Approaches for genetic enhancement in oilseed crops, pp. 16-23.
Sequences submittedGenBank Accession No: AY601849.1 GenBank Accession No: AY601850 GenBank Accession No: KT340077 Genbank Accession No: KT595419
- Sujatha.T. Parvathy (2015).The Golden Mathematics of Life. Science Reporter (NISCAIR), 52 (1): 20-25.
- Sujatha.T. Parvathy (2015). Science in the Kitchen. Science Reporter (NISCAIR), 52(3): 20-24.